Rogliano's Slow-cooker Pot Roast
Author: Todd Collard
Recipe type: slow cooker beef
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 (3 to 3½ pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1 bottle Rogliano's Italian Dressing
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups beef broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds potatoes - (we like either yukon gold or the tiny red potatoes because they'll hold up better in the slow cooker)
- 3 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Season beef with 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef and cook until evenly browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Whisk together the beef broth, flour, and Rogliano's in a bowl, set aside.
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and bay leaf into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in beef broth mixture; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with beef.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours, or until meat is fork-tender.
- Remove beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion from the slow cooker.
- The best is tender enough by then to simply shred with two forks. Cover to keep warm.
- Strain cooking juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan over medium heat; d remove any remaining solids and skim any fat from the surface and remove as well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until desired thickness. This is usually about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the roast beef on top of a layer of carrots and potatoes and drizzle with simmered juices.